Become a Pilot!
Become a pilot and train for your Pilots License in the Foothills of North Carolina at the Hickory Regional Airport with our team of experienced pilots and fly our fleet of rental planes. We offer training for the following pilot certifications:
Attain the first certification in your flying career with Saltair Aircraft.
If you are an aviation enthusiast looking to start your flying dream, the beginning stage is obtaining your Sport Pilot Certification. Being a Sport Pilot provides you with one of the easiest ways to fly for recreation and fun! This type of training can be done without a formal medical exam and can still give the pilot in training his/her privileges as a private pilot, with a few restrictions:
- Must be at least 17 years of age (16 years of age to fly solo as a student pilot)
- Posses a valid US Drivers license
- Log a minimum of 15 hours flight training from a flight instructor
- Log a minimum of 5 hours of solo flight time
- Pass a written and practical examination
Private Pilots License
Whether you want the ability to travel to your favorite destination or take in a morning flight sunrise – a Private Pilots License is the route for you!
Becoming a Private Pilot requires training in aircraft maneuvers, navigation techniques, cross-country flight planning and emergency procedures. Saltair Aircraft has the best instructors in the area to give you the required training and knowledge that you will need to pass the written and practical exam. This is a step (or flight) in the right direction for the individual who wants to pursue his / her flying as a career.
A Private Pilots license has the same requirements as a Sport Pilot except there is a required:
- Minimum of 40 hours of logged flight time
- Minimum of 20 hours of flight instruction
- Minimum of 10 hours of solo flight
If you’re tired of being grounded on a cloudy day, then this is the next training course for you.
Our team of experienced Flight Instructors are ready to get you started on this next phase of your flying career. Becoming instrument rated is the next step after your Private Pilots License. This rating qualifies the pilot to fly in the clouds and learn the Instrument Flight Rules (IFR). Learning the ins and outs of instrument flying paired with actual flight time will ensure the Pilot in training the he / she has possessed the best skills required for IFR flight. Along with aeronautical information, training will include:
- Preflight procedures
- Navigation systems
- Instrument approach procedures
- Flight by reference to instruments
- Air traffic control clearances and procedures
- Post flight procedures and emergency operations